Sunday, November 9, 2014

Louise Nelson Technique inspired layout by Mel Connell


Hi Again Everyone. So glad you stopped by t check out what I have been playing with this time. We have been getting the most yummy mixed media products in Tomorrow's memories lately and I know I an having a blast playing with it all. 

A couple of my new favourite products are the Prima/Finnabair Art Basic and Art Extravagance products and Just new to the store are the Tim Holtz Distress Sprays. OMGoodness just way to much fun stuff to play with. 

I learned a fantastic technique last year from the wonderful Louise Nelson. I just loved this class that I did with her and have been wanting to use this technique again since. 

Having both these fabulous mixed media products in I knew they were screaming out to be used in this way. 


So you want to start with a thick sheet of chipboard, I used 12x12 but it could be 8.5 x 11 or any size you need really. Gesso the whole sheet. 

Choose some pretty chipboard shapes, I have used the gorgeous flower heads from Your Creative Wings, this chipboard is in store at TM's now. Lots of fabulous designs to choose from. Make sure these are gesso'd also. and glue them down. 


Spread white crackle paste from Prima over the chippy pieces, I went a bit crazy and spread it over my entire sheet. Some parts will be thicker than others, but this is good, you will get different sized cracks form. Try and let this dry naturally if you can, pop it outside in the sun for a wee while. You will get better cracks if it drys naturally. 


Now the super fun part. Spritz your entire page with water, add drops of your favourite Distress Spray colours (unscrew the top and drip it on), spritz with more water until it spreads and puddles. 

This can take some time and you want to build up layers. Add and let dry, add and let dry. This you can dry with your heat tool to speed up the process. 


Once your happy with your colour I mixed up a spritz of gold spray using the Primary Elements powers and some water and put it on a Kaiser spray bottle. (these by the way work so well, such a great little spray bottle). 

Give the whole piece a light mist so you have just a hint of gold shimmer over it. 


I used some small splatter stamps from Kaiser, and gold embossing powder to add the look of splatters but using the stamps gives you a bit of control over where they go and ow they look. you gould however just splatter on some of the gold Distress Spray. 


Add a heat embossed title and a sprinkle of sequins across your page. ( another thing I fell in love with after my class with Louise last year. Sequins, oooooh yum!!)


Once it is all dry add a small photo, or a big one, totally up to you. 
You end up with this gorgeous soft watercolour effect in the background that seeps into all the cracks of the crackle paste which is all kinds of fabulous. 


If you do get the chance, this layout is in store for you to have a look at. 

I want to thank Louise for letting me use her technique and share it with you. Please stop by her blog, the link is up above, as she does just wonderful things. 

Thanks once again for popping by to see what we have been doing, and hope to see you either in store or online soon. 

Mel xxx


1 comment:

Julie said...

yummy yummy yummy Mel Thanks you